History Today is a great magazine to read and I’ve subscribed for many years. Listed below are the movies that History Today staffers recommend you watch to transport you back to very different historical eras.
So, here are the History Today top picks!
1. Mirror (Andrei Takovsky, 1975, USSR)
2. Lancelot du Lac (Robert Bresson, 1974, France)
3. A Matter of Life and Death (Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, 1946, UK)
4. Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985, USSR)
5. Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1969, Italy/US)
6. Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966, USSR)
7. A Canterbury Tale (Powell and Pressburger, 1944, UK)
8. La Reine Margot (Patrice Chéreau, 1994, France)
9. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957, Sweden)
10. Berlin Alexanderplatz (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1980, West Germany)
4 thoughts on “History Today magazine lists its top ten history movies”
Worryingly I also haven’t seen any of those listed! I think I need to at least watch some of them!
An interesting list – haven’t heard of most of them. Thanks for the youtube link. 🙂
Must confess I haven’t seen half of them – the two Soviet movies are well known among film students but not to me. Feel I need to sit down with some popcorn and work my way through them all.
I am thinking of doing the same!
You must log in to post a comment.