Gosh – what can one say? The horror being faced by the people of Syria is stomach churning and to add to their misery, the very buildings that have given them both pleasure and a livelihood from tourists are being bombed and severely damaged. Roman, Byzantine, Crusader and Ottoman monuments have suffered. Now we have news that the souk of Aleppo – a UNESCO protected site – has been set ablaze in fighting. It’s doubtful the building as it was now exists. Read more HERE.
- VIDEO: Aleppo souk burns as battles rage (bbc.co.uk)
- Ancient Syrian souk burns as fighting rages in Aleppo (telegraph.co.uk)
- Ancient souk burns as fighting rages in Syria’s Aleppo – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Medieval Aleppo souks destroyed by fire as battle rages in Syria (guardian.co.uk)
- Ancient souk burns as fighting rages in Syria (aljazeera.com)