If you have never seen The Seventh Seal – then watch it. A tortured medieval knight is played by a very young Max von Sydow, who you may have seen in The Minority Report and other movies. In this scene, he plays a game of chess with Death in order to remain alive. It’s a Swedish movie with subtitles but don’t let that put you off.
I will be appearing as a guest several times in a special edition of Forbidden History devoted to exposing the secrets of the Knights Templar. Presented by Jamie Theakston and broadcast on UKTV/Yesterday TV, Forbidden History asks the questions you have all been dying to know the answers to.
I will be discussing:
- The trial of the Knights Templar in 1307
- Pagan rituals that may have become part of the Templar rites
- How did the Templars become so rich, so quickly?
- Were the Templars influenced by eastern ideas?
- Did they reject church authority?
- Why was such violence used to put down the Templars?
- The way in which the order was wiped out
I’d quite forgotten how much fun this medieval movie is – a 1980s gem based on the book by Umberto Eco. If you’ve never seen it – do! If for nothing else other than to experience Sean Connery playing a monk and a very young Christian Slater.